Sunday, March 15, 2009

Expeditionary Learning

I am working on getting a speaker from the Expeditionary Learning schools to come to our group.  For those of you who are not familiar with these types of schools, here are a few videos that might explain it better than I could!  I am fascinated by this school model and I will be really excited if we can make this happen!

2 comments:

Ms. Vayda said...

That was very interesting! There is a similar element with UBD in there somewhere mixed with many feild trips and hands on activities. I was surprised to see little technology mentioned in the presentation, even saw a few overhead projectors.


The kids kept saying that they are motivated and pushed, I wonder what or who does the pushing exactly? Certainly creating "real" learning experiences produces results. For these students education is an experience. Very cool!

Mrs. Stawicki said...

One thing that fascinates me about this school system is that students are required to host parent conferences, where the students pick their best work and discuss what they have learned with their parents. Students are surprisingly candid about areas of weakness and what they need to work on. I think that this kind of metacognition about their own learning is key.

Also, there are specific character grades that each student receives in addition to their term grades. The character grades (from my understanding) encompass a variety of things not traditionally graded. I think both of these things are important aspects of student motivation.