
I had a major virus-induced crash of my Windows XP, fueled by my idiotic attempt to mess with the registry files. I almost bought a new computer, and wasted hours trying to remove a trojan that ultimately won.
I already use OpenOffice for my word processing and presentations, and just switched to Ubuntu, a variant of Linux, an open source operating system. I have the disk if anyone's interested.
Anybody else in the group using open source software? If you do, any problems with compatibility when using the school's system?
(Hope everyone's spending their time more wisely than I did today--most of my waking hours today were spent wrestling with computers.)
2 comments:
I wish I knew more about it, but that is a completely different language to me! I just bought a mac, to which I had generally been opposed in the past. But after using my sister's (and upon the realization that my aging Dell could no longer perform the most basic of functions) I fell for it.
I have to say that I've been pretty happy so far (knock knock) but I've only had it since September. In its defense, by this time I was already having major problems with my Dell, but maybe that's not saying much.
I wish I could say I've spent break galavanting, but alas, I have been studying for the GREs and am now in a hectic scramble to get prepared to go back. I hope that you've gotten to the end of your computer problems and can spend your last day relaxing!
Had Ubuntu not worked, I would have strongly considered a Mac--and may yet get one.
When Windows is behaving, it's fine, but I hope I'm done with the famous Blue Screen of Death.
As far as relaxing on Sunday, well, always been my style to procrastinate--which is why I will be scrambling here tonight instead of getting a decent night's sleep.
On a completely different topic, you may have noticed the Bloomfield k12 website is down. You can still get to your mail if you go to Google, hit the cached page, then go to mail via that page.
Post a Comment